internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Well, That Didn't Take Long...
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 09:20:09 -0500

On Monday, November 3, 2003, at 08:49 AM, Beth wrote:

I'm trying hard to understand why so many people seem so determined to get music for free. You can't walk in to a record store and take what you want, why should it be available online for free? If a band wants to make their music available for free, let them put all the songs they want to on their website.

This truly is a mystery to me. I wonder if it's such a big deal in any country other than the US.

Ahh, but this case wasn't about file sharing, but broadcast rights. Consumers can turn on their radios and hear lots of music for free. In this case MIT was just trying to set up their own radio station that would broadcast over cable TV rather than the airwaves. Lots of colleges have their own radio stations and are able to play a wide variety of music without being shut down by the RIAA. The problem has been the RIAA doesn't want music broadcast any other way than the traditional CD sales or radio in order to protect their monopoly, and have adjusted their fees to make internet radio prohibitively expensive.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Birdseye Maple 12-String Chapman Stick #499
Chapel Hill, NC