internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] New Web Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] New Web Site
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

Concerning (2) below:
To be more specific: I'm paranoid, and what I meant was that having
"Promote this email" links embedded in a public archive has the potential
for abuse. The potential is very low, I concede, being housed at ibiblio
and being the INW discussion list; but the potential is there.
Hypothetical situation:
Dirk Dufus stumbles across the archives one day. While browsing this
newfound curiosity he discovers that a link exists allowing him to
"promote" the messages. He has no idea what this means, but he clicks on
the link anyway. Maybe Dirk is stupid, or maybe Dirk is an ass, but
either way he proceeds to promote dozens of messages....

Do we care? Is the risk low enough for the hassle of having to fix it
even once? Do we even perhaps *want* Dirk Dufus or his smarter cousin
(who really would like to see Michael's email as an article) to have the
ability to promote messages?

-Alan