internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:23:47 -0400 (EDT)

oops ... got off-list somehow; meant for this exchange to be posted to INW:

Scott Lundgren said:

> I question the need for an address book to be a web application given that
> the description of the script you mentioned said nothing of being password
> protected (granted this could be done at the webserver level) and that you
> are "upgrading" from slips of paper. That said I also recommend the free
> (as in beer) Palm Desktop software as an alternative solution:

I need something on the web because it'll always be there and I won't have
to hunt for little scraps of paper. I'd do the Palm thing, but it's sort
of like the little scraps of paper ... either I'll forget to make the
entry or I'll forget to take the Palm with me or I'll lose it or ... the
list goes on why people like me shouldn't have little toys.

I plan to .htaccess the directory. The multi-user version does have
security built in, but I'm the only user so I don't need that version.

I *could* build a PHP HTML page with a PHP .inc file containing only the
comma-delimited entries and run a regular cron job (sort) on that .inc
file to keep it organized ... but that'd be actual work.... ;)

-Alan

To which, Scott Lundgren replied: