internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] New Web Site

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] New Web Site
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:20:31 -0400

> I won't vote on which idea we should run with; I won't be doing the
> programming (Did I detect a little sarcasm at the end of Michael's
post?
> Hey! I did say I might not know what I'm talking about...)

No sarcasm intended. I happen to think that you /do/ know what you are
talking about... at least as much as anyone knows at this stage of a
project ;-)

> >> "Personally I'd like to see mailing list archiving tools adding
> >> a "blog" option to the archive browsers.
> >>
> >> This would be managed by the list administrators/monitors. Each
> >> 'noteable' message would get tagged (and tag-lined if need be)
> >> for the blog front end to catch.

Yeah, that's the core of what we're talking about. However, there are
two significant complexities:

Presentation of content: Take a look at a newspaper. All content isn't
equal. The important stuff has bigger headlines and tends to appear in
the upper right hand corner of the page. Part of the value that the
newspaper provides is organizing the content so that your attention is
drawn to the important stuff. (Whether the newspaper's view of what is
important is the same as yours is another matter.) I don't want
CommunityWebLogger to produce a blog-style or email-archive style web
site. I want to produce a content-driven web site. This may mean that
the Layout Editor needs to know XSLT, but the advantage of trying this
out on INW is that we have a lot of people that know XSLT. We can also
train on XSLT and modularize XSLT to make it easier to deal with.

Permissions: I don't think that it is right to change the form of
someone else's content -- even if it is just a quick email post --
without permission. I could be solving a non-problem, but I don't want
to clean up the mess that would ensue if I'm right. Of course, the
permission issue varies from one list to another. In a corporate
setting, the corporation would probably have clear ownership to anything
posted to its lists and can do whatever it pleases.