internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Food>Definitions>Chinese

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Food>Definitions>Chinese
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:39:29 -0400

"Stella L." <thumb_nails AT yahoo.com> writes:
> already comes with a lot of explanation. By the way,
> what the heck is chop shu anyway??!!

If memory serves me right, Chop Suey was actually invented in San
Fransisco, along with Fortune Cookies (Thanks PBS!). Chinatown actually
gave rise to a Renaissance in Chinese cooking, since many of the
traditional ingredients weren't available, and many of the traditional
dishes weren't exactly attractive by American standards.

FWIW, many of the names you see are actually styles of cooking or refer
to the regions in which they originated. "Mongolian Beef" is better
described as "Mongolian Style Beef," 'Szechuan Chicken" it really
"Szechuan Style Chicken" (Both regions actually boast a much broader
cuisine than you'll get in any US restaurant). And then there are the
things named for their ingredients. For example, "Chow Fun" is actually
the type of noodle used in the dish.

So anyway, that's about all I ever need to know, and I just go for
it. Then again, I'll try any (*ANY*) food at least twice (hey, gotta be
sure it wasn't an off day or a bad restaurant). Sometimes I
like it enough to have it again and again - much to my regular lunch
partners' distress when we go for Sushi.

Something about Quail Egg and Sweet Shrimp heads just gets to them.

And now I need a snack!

--
-- Kevin Sonney --