internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Local NPR advertising to get rid of YOUR job

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Local NPR advertising to get rid of YOUR job
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:51:12 -0400

On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 01:22 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
Maybe I only just noticed this, but is anyone else annoyed at having
listen to a company advertise trying to get local employers to move
our
jobs out of the country? Keane is running little promotional spots
offering to move IT jobs to "near shore" or "offshore":

http://www.keane.com/services/manage_app.php

I know I have heard Keane mentioned on NPR as a sponsor. I think I'm
going to call WUNC and see what their response is to this issue. I give
them money and in turn they are running "ads" to try to get my job moved
oversees.

Did you hear this on another station?

This was on the local NPR 91.5 station last night driving home. The outsourcing issue is complex, and while I haven't yet come up with a preferred responses to this trend, I sure don't think its appropriate to broadcast this message to the thousands of tech. workers in the triangle as they drive home. I'm definitely writing a letter to the station manager.

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC