internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] sobig, yet soannoying

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] sobig, yet soannoying
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:00:07 -0400

on Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 01:00:48PM -0400, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> [attribution corrected] Steven Champeon wrote:
> > on Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:17:24PM -0400, Shea Tisdale wrote:
> > > I got more messages from Internetworkers about Sobig than anything else.
> As
> > > a matter of fact, I didn't get a single sobig email at all. Perhaps you
> > > should stop letting your email software sleep around so much. :-)
> >
> > Perhaps you have a responsible systems administrator. Nobody on our
> > systems got infected, either, because we block that crud. It doesn't
> > mean that your server didn't have to block thousands of delivery attempts.
>
> Yes, I do have a very responsible system/network admin. Me. :-)

Oh, I'm sorry - I assumed that because you were using crews.com as an
outbound mail server that Chuck might have had something to do with it. ;)

Internet Mail Server 3.2.1) for <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>;
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:02:53 -0400

FWIW, you might want your mail server to have proper rDNS. We generally
don't accept mail from "anonymous" IPs like yours, whose forward and
reverse DNS don't match the HELO, as they are the source of all of our
spam. And with crud like SoBig.F on the rise, we're going to be blocking
more and more strictly.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier