internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Another ATM blue-screened today

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Another ATM blue-screened today
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:43:14 -0400

on Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:18:08AM -0400, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
> I don't know how common this is, but another ATM I tried to use was
> wearing the blue screen of death today. It then tried to reboot into
> NT4 SP6, and put up an "out of order" message. This is a lower level
> problem than the "asp error, do you want to debug" message that
> confuses the old ladies, but both effectively render the ATM out of
> order.

Seems pretty common. I was down in Clinton on Saturday for Heather's
parents' wedding anniversary, and there was a cable channel that had
a WinXP error screen showing, saying something about how the app (I
couldn't read the type, it was too small and blurry) "had encountered
an error and needed to close" and how the viewer was invited to call
Microsoft for assistance. It was pretty sad.

Reminds me of the Thai official who got caught in his BMW when the
server that runs the door locks (!) crashed (!!).

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier