internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] IT in healthcare

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] IT in healthcare
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:34:45 -0400

> The thing I'm really tired of is HR people who know nothing about IT
> and disqualify you because you don't how to use <fill in the blank>
> software package, as if it would be difficult for anyone with a decent
> background to figure out in about ten minutes.

I also have trouble with hiring processes that ignore aptitude. Maybe their
"ideal" candidate has more experience b/c it took them longer to learn the
package and figure out how to use it correctly.

The trick -- easier said than done -- is to get around the HR person and get
to the hiring manager. The hiring manager can sometimes get HR to overlook
deficiencies in the experience checklist if they feel confident that you'll
perform and be good to work with. This won't work all places, but informal
networking can help land the jobs that are ultimately more fullfilling.