internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] IT in healthcare

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: BigLee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] IT in healthcare
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:26:50 -0400

In an expanding economy, recruiting is all about aptitude. Candidates with experience are viewed with suspicion: if the guy is as good as he claims why did his previous company allow him to leave? In a contracting economy on the other hand, experience is the key. Companies know that the really the topnotch people are out there -- the ones who, in the good old days, they would have loved to lure away from their now-bankrupt competitors but couldn't afford them. The high-tech depression represents a fire sale on top-calibre, known commodities. Why wouldn't companies snatch them up if they are lucky enough to be able to hire?

For those of us who have generic skills that we hoped would be valued in a number of industries this is frustrating. It would be comforting to think that the insistence on specific experience is irrational, but it isn't.