internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jay Cuthrell" <jcuthrell AT neonova.net>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] anti-spam
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 01:32:33 -0400 (EDT)

[snip]
> The SpamAssassin and procmail folks have offered a lot of great
> essentials recently, but I like that old phrase "nip it in the bud."
> I'd rather the spammers not have the email addresses in the first place,
> instead of trying to stem the tidal flood of incoming crap. I'm
> curious; does anyone have any stats for any given server resources
> allotted to dealing with spam (space, bandwidth, cputime, whatever)?
[snip]

"I have detailed files" -- Terminator

We run ISP's here and aggregate +100k accounts. So, dealing with spam is
something we know a great deal about. We greymail it all. i.e. we keep
it for review.

The resource dashboard we have shows realtime trends for our spam
filtering farm. It's pretty cool actually. We know the incoming rate,
network ranges, bandwidth utilization, probe hit %ages, and how effective
our filters are running. We can tell for a fact that spam gets worse.
We just have to stay ahead of it and be smart. Throwing hardware at it
doesn't always mean you can stay ahead. Software choices are crucial to
insure that you have effeciency and adaptability.

We provide reports as well. For example, my own work account box reached
over 2000 spam in May alone but May was a big month. So, that's around
40% spam for work.

Personally, I use spfilter based RBL's and my own probes. My last
calculation was that I get 90% spam.

-Jay

--
Jay Cuthrell, CTO