internetworkers - [internetworkers] Macromedia Central Developer Beta

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: drew johnston <drew AT mmteach.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Macromedia Central Developer Beta
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 14:15:24 -0400

For any of you interested in Flash Development-- Macromedia has started selecting it's first round of Beta testers for the new Central SDK. Sign up now if you want to be involved...

For anyone who doesn't know what Central is, but actually cares, Central is a new Flash runtime environment (think "screw the browser, I'll just install the player as a stand alone application"). Still sandboxed, so you can't write to a local text file, but you can use persistent local shared objects (basically, flash's version of cookies).

The whole point of central is taking advantage of the "partially connected model".... in other words, providing folks who have mobile lan cards and access the www from several different points, sometimes being connected, and sometimes not, with applications designed to work in such an environment. i.e. I order a book off Amazon.com, but don't currently have a connection-- my order is stored and then processed when the app detects an available connection...

They also promise the "holy grail" of context -- apps being able to determine their location, so as to make intelligent decisions about delivering localized content. I.e. you're on a bus. trip in San Fran, open your laptop, and boom, your central weather app has the weeks forcast for the san fran area...

Interesting stuff...

http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/central/

Drew