internetworkers - [internetworkers] To Buy an Apple or Not to Buy an Apple

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] To Buy an Apple or Not to Buy an Apple
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:00:53 -0400

That is the question, yo. With all the excitement and flimflam over iTunes 4 and the Apple Music Store and whatnot, many computer users are reconsidering their home hardware needs. Questions like

"Should I buy a new 17" Powerbook to show others the weaknesses of their own laptops?"

-or-

"That G4 tower sure would look good next to my antique Aborigine carved elephant head."

are popping into peoples heads. These are all valid questions.

However, most of us know that as much as we adore Apple and their glitzy products, they can also be bad on the Support end of things, not to mention the occasional techno-glitch. (So that means -- ALWAYS BUY the Apple Care Protection Thingy).

But here is the /real/ question -- IS Apple going to do something SO fundamental (*cough* switch chip manufacturers *cough*) or drastic (*twitch* move Darwin to new architecture *shake*) that one would be ILL ADVISED to purchase their hardware at this time??

c'mon you industry insiders -- gimme the dirt on Apple!!
thanks!
dave m.