internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:53:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Sil Greene wrote:
> Personally (and I, for one, am 100% native N.Carolinian), I've never
> mistaken the catchphrase "First in Flight" with the concept "we did it
> all". It refers to the first controlled flight, plain and simple. Anyone
> who's been through their NC history class in 4th & 8th grades should
> recognize that.

Of course that's what they're gonna say, though there are documented
flights on par with the Wright's that preceed it. New Zealand had Richard
Pearse in March of 1903. There was also Samuel Pierpont Langley who had a
steam powered plane go for over a 3/4 of a mile without a pilot.

> like Alabama (due to the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville) might
> claim to be the "Birthplace of the Space Program".

Though the Marshall Space Flight Center has more to do with missile and
rocket design than manned flight. They even named their civic center after
Von Braun the Nazi if that tells you anything.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com