internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] First in flight?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 14:29:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Jim Allman wrote:

> Michael sez:
> > I can't believe the citizens of NC have the gall to believe
> > NC has anything but a tiny claim of involvement with the Wright
> > Brothers, who never were citizens of the state.

Personally (and I, for one, am 100% native N.Carolinian), I've never
mistaken the catchphrase "First in Flight" with the concept "we did it
all". It refers to the first controlled flight, plain and simple. Anyone
who's been through their NC history class in 4th & 8th grades should
recognize that.

> > The only thing this says about NC is it has wind and sand on
> > the coast. They [Wrights] were never citizens of NC and lived
> > their entire lives in Dayton.
>
> This *is* kinda like Florida taking credit for the space program. (Ouch.)

No, it's more like Florida's (accurate) claim that they host the
launchpad. Granted, eventual refinements to powered flight led
to the capability of a plane taking off from damn near anywhere, but space
flight hasn't quite reached that level. It'll get there eventually. Ohio
can claim to be the "Birthplace of Aviation"; that's accurate too. Just
like Alabama (due to the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville) might
claim to be the "Birthplace of the Space Program".

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)