internetworkers - [internetworkers] the history books

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] the history books
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:26:58 -0400

So lately the big historic events have been 100 years of powered flight and
50 years of the molecular structure of DNA. You'd think after all this time,
the history book writers and the popular media would bother to get the
stories correct. I mean, the Wright Bros. weren't the first to fly a powered
aircraft and Watson & Crick weren't exactly the discoverers of DNA's
molecular form. Just like Edison didn't invent the light bulb. History is
rife with men and women whose genius was overshadowed by the better press of
another.

If it weren't for the research of Rosalind Franklin, who was the discoverer
of DNA's helical nature, then it's full molecular form would never have been
modelled by Watson and Crick.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/photo51/

Who was the first to fly a powered aircraft?
(1)Clement Ader? ... John Stringfellow?
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~robodyne/inventors-world/iwstring.htm
(2)... or Richard Pearse?
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/pearse1.html