internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: ...broadband wireless [tangent #2]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: ...broadband wireless [tangent #2]
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:54:18 -0400

>the promise of all this futuristic technology was that we would
>eventually gain the benefit of simple lives. simple lives led at a
>relaxed pace because all the minutiae was taken care of by robo-drones.
> well, guess who is the robo-drone now?

just thought I'd mention that I saw a Discovery Channel program the other
night, one of their series of mega-construction projects, in which mention
was made of the use of humanoid robots to do the dangerous construction work
and machinery operation. Experimental models (a la that recent Honda droid)
are still in the early stages; one of the designers predicted that it would
be another 50 years or so before we see fully functional automatons.

I wonder if anyone has the same in mind for jobs like programmers? Would
true AI be necessary, or would something simpler fulfilling rote scripts
function just as well with given project parameters (customer needs)?

-Alan