internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Spam retaliation or not

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: bethellison AT netscape.net (Beth)
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org ("Internetworkers: http://www.ibib lio.org/internetworkers/")
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Spam retaliation or not
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:45:55 -0400

Brian <russellb AT yesh.com> wrote:

>How about we stop using e-mail for a week, or a month? (oh, owch that would
>hurt me... :-)

How about I stab myself in the leg with a fork repeatedly?

Actually, I love spam. Aside from this list, it's the only email I get. They
make me feel special and loved.

Beth

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:19:43 -0400
From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/";
<internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: [internetworkers]
Is there such a thing as an "opt in" email marketing list?

Recently I've been working with an electronic marketing class at NC
State, who in conjunction with the professor worked up a couple of
critiques of my company's marketing plan. One of the main suggestions
was to start using "email marketing" by purchasing an "opt-in" email
list, so rather than dismiss their suggestion out of hand, as I would
like to do, I thought I'd run it by the collective IW brain trust. It
seems to be there's two ways of looking at this for marketing to IT and
computer professionals:

1. As far as the technical customer is concerned, there is no such
thing as an "opt-in" marketing list, and all email sent would be
unwanted and would piss off any potential customers.

2. Real potential customers actually do join "opt-in" lists, say
through a web development magazine, and have indicated they like (for
some reason) to receive email about products.

Any thoughts?

_________
Run, run, run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me, I'm the stinky
cheese man!
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC