internetworkers - [internetworkers] radio spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Thomas Beckett)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] radio spam
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:14:05 -0500 (EST)

Maria stated:
> The worst part in my opinion, however, is that many
> of those companies finance the classes. So you end up with people
> who can't really afford it owing several thousands of dollars only
> to find that employers are less impressed with a certification than
> they are with experience (and more education).

And /that's/ the racket. The real business here is the loan
financing. The classes are simply a vehicle to create a
receivable. The schools have direct relationships with the lenders
and simply serve as funnels for the creation of new debt. The
school gets cash from the lenders who originate the loan. The
lenders turn around and resell the loans to bigger institutions or
Sallie Mae and pocket their cash. The students who get (usually
piss-poor) training have no recourse when they can't pass the
certification exams or can't get a job later.

It's not about training people for new careers. It's about
taking their money. It's a scam.

TaB