internetworkers - [internetworkers] radio spam

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org (Jeff Bacon)
  • Subject: [internetworkers] radio spam
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:28:07 -0500

Is it just me or is everyone just completely sick of those stupid
radio ads? You know the ones.

"Did you know the average salary of a Microsoft Certified
Systems Engineer is between fifty and one hundred thousand
dollars? Today, at <SCHOOL X>, you can learn the skills
needed to get this valuable certification!"

(Uh-huh. The ones that actually have jobs, you mean.
Where are they working, anyway?)

"For most of us, there are only a few times in our lives
when opportunity knocks on our doors. This could be yours -
<SCHOOL Y> is now offering financing for you to get your
IT professional certifications!"

"There are those who let life pass them by. There are those
who dream. And there are those that do something about their
dreams. Join the ones that are doing something about it
by getting your MCSE|CCNA at <SCHOOL Z>!"

(Everyone dreams of being an IT professional? How boring.)

"Are you bored with your current job? Do you want to make
more money? Join the thousands of people who have upgraded
their careers by studying for your MCSE|CCNA at <SCHOOL A>!"

(And these concepts are related... how?)

And then of course there is the classic

[often in a Bill Clinton-esque voice]
"Do you have a job?" *RAH* "Do you have $200?" *RAH*
Then YOU can get a new car!"

But this particular stupidity I will save for another day.

I can only imagine how insulting these ads must feel to the people
on this list who have real-world skills and experience and are
currently unemployed. I know how I'd feel.

I realize that hyperbole is a normal part of advertising.
I just find the audacity involved pretty damn amazing.
Either that, or it says something about how out of touch
education can be with reality.

-bacon