internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More News from Franklin St.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More News from Franklin St.
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:20:33 -0500

On Tuesday, January 14, 2003, at 04:18 PM, K. Jo Garner wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:
->At least the developer in Southern Village has the right idea-- not
->only did he give Weaver Street Market a good deal on rent, he ponied up

and how big is the Weaver Street there? I hear from several employees of
the Carrboro store that there's only ever a need for one or two people
working there, as there's not much business (or foot traffic anyhow).

Its a lot smaller than the Carrboro store, as its supposed to be a "satellite", i.e. a small neighborhood grocery, and does a correspondingly smaller amount of business. At least by my count they always have 4 employees on duty, but I'm there mostly in the morning and evening hours when there's more customers. I have no idea about the long term popularity of the place, but I read that 400 families in SV paid for memberships, and all the close parking spots are usually taken.

I've talked to the store manager before, and they hired almost all new employees for the new store since they are trying a new approach because of the small size of the store. The main Weaver Street is large enough that the employees specialize, working only in produce, or only behind the coffee bar, etc. The employees at the SV store are all generalists, able to work any of the much smaller stations.

No place better demonstrates the worst aspects of both the American
character and public policy than the nation's highways.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC