internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Two Towers premier?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Two Towers premier?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:52:25 -0500

on Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 09:32:04PM -0500, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> ->On Wednesday, December 18, 2002, at 09:05 PM, zman wrote:
> ->
> ->> Yeah, blockbuster is pretty much the king of censorship...
> ->
> ->In what way?
>
> Try finding a lot of gay and lesbian titles there. Not gonna happen. Also
> try finding off the wall documentaries (Michael Moore doesn't count),
> experimental films, underground/indie films or shorts. Not gonna happen.
> It's guaranteed to be there - unless it's not a mainstream/relatively
> mainstream film, yo.

Not that I want to defend soulless corporate chains or anything, but
I've been surprised every time I hear this. My experience of Blockbuster
is that it is far from "sanitized" in the way that Wal-Mart is.

In fact, in the ten or fifteen years since I first started going to
Blockbuster (in addition to whatever other video store is open, though
usually the smaller stores first unless it's 11pm and nobody else is
open) I've noticed they've gone from your basic video store to pretty
much an all violent games, softcore porn, and latest-release sort of
thing.

And I believe the BB in Cameron Village has a GLB section, too. Maybe
not a /huge/ section, but it's there. And it's hard finding good movies
no matter where you rent, at least it has been for me. Mostly seems to
be determined by the tastes and viewing habits of the very local area.

So, when I go back to Maine, I can expect to see row after row of Chuck
Norris action movies and silly, sophomoric ski bunny movies. In
Syracuse, it was easy to find art films but really hard to find good
old school chopsocky.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier