internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] The Two Towers premier?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] The Two Towers premier?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:44:23 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Nope. I don't go to the movies anymore. I wait until Blockbuster
> takes a movie out of rental circulation and offers it as a pre-viewed
> DVD and snap it up cheap. That way it is not recorded as a sale by the
> MPAA.

*snort* I'd rather see certain flicks full-price in the theater than give
any money to Cocksucker Video. Further, the pre-viewed DVDs are a) not
that cheap and b) often scratched [rendering them nearly unplayable on my
ancient hardware]. As it is, I return 1 out of every 5 or so new DVDs to
the point of purchase as defective.

Instead, I generally wait until the flick is in the cheap theatres and go
see it for a-buck-fifty. Best of both worlds: bigger screen, cheaper than
renting.

> TLotR:FotR left an especially bad taste in my mouth for releasing an
> extended DVD shortly after the standard one, which is also working
> against their customers.

Eh, I didn't mind that so much. Yes, I bought them both, in the first few
days they were out to get them on special at BestBuy. ($15 for the
theatrical version, $25 for the extended.) Yes, I'm a sucker.

But it's pretty rare that I shell out more than $10 for a DVD.

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)