internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo! News - U.S. to Name Ship for Ex-President Bush

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Yahoo! News - U.S. to Name Ship for Ex-President Bush
  • Date: 10 Dec 2002 08:08:28 -0500

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 20:33, Greg Cox wrote:
> > > Dwight D. Eisenhower (69)
> > Deceased president by then?

> Yep. Died 1969, Congress authorized and keel laid 1970.

OK

> > > Carl Vinson (70)
> > Mmmm. Who was this guy?

> http://www.cvn70.navy.mil/vinson/vinsonman.htm
> Bonus: first person to see the launching of 'his' ship.

As by the information there, seems appropriate to have a ship named
after him. Although the detail of naming it while being alive is, well,
I don't really get it.

> > > John C. Stennis (74)
> > Who is this guy?

> http://www.cvn74.navy.mil/pages/facts/senator.htm

Interesting guy. Although I don't know the impact of this politician in
the Navy or the US. Am I missing something that "everybody knows" and
its not in those pages?

Same thing about naming the ship after a living person.

> > Anyway. What a shame there's only 3 Seawolfs. Seawolfs are great, that's
> > why the Soviet Navy lobbied the Politburo to finish the comunism, as
> > they would have had no chances against Seawolfs :)

> The Carter takes the demise of the Soviet Union into consideration.
> It includes a special warfare midsection, such as for SEAL deployment.
> You know, since we don't have REAL wars, just incidents and police
> actions.

IIRC know it's called dissimilar (or asymmetric) warfare.

> But, yes, good boats,

A hell of a boat, actually.

> just, from what I read, they just fell
> prey to Version 2.0 Feature Creep.

Can you translate this to "English as a second language"?

Salut,
Josep
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/