internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:27:21 -0400

What I would do is get a Windows boot disk that has a Win98 or WinME
version of fdisk on it. Boot the computer with that diskette and start
fdisk and use it to remove any existing partitions. Then, to install
Windows 2000, either boot with the set of diskettes that come with
Windows 2000 or, if your computer supports booting from a CD (which it
most likely does), boot from the Windows 2000 CD. If the win2000 setup
still detects any existing partitions, tell it to remove them. When it
tells you to, create one (or several) new partitions. Windows 2000 gives
you the option of two different file systems - FAT (both 16 and 32 bit)
and NTFS. It Red Hat supports NTFS, it would be way preferable to FAT.

Unfortunately I'm not quite up to speed with RH (or other Linuxes), so I
can't offer much on that front.

HTH,
Bill

Bill Geschwind
Technical Assistance Manager
Department of Technology and Systems Support
Division of Student Affairs, University of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill
03 Teague Hall, CB# 5510 (919) 962-5629
Chapel Hill, NC 27599 geschwin AT email.unc.edu