internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wiping an OS off a PC
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:53:45 -0400

On Wednesday 04 September 2002 04:16 pm, you wrote:
> I am planning to wipe Windows ME off a Dell box I purchased and install
> Win 2000. After that, install RH Linux and begin the dual boot adventure.
>
> What is the cleanest and most efficient way to wipe a OS off a PC and
> ready it for another OS install? Tips and pointers to info would be
> appreciated.
>
> Given my experience with ME, I really want to take the PC into a big
> grassy field and shot it, but that does not fall under the "cleanest" and
> "efficient" categories. "Damn emotionally satisfying" category yes.

That sounds quite gratifying. I once killed a car by shooting it ( 9 rounds
of 150 grain .357 Magnum to the engine...mostly ). Unfortunately the bullets
were hollow-points, and not full-metal-jacket, so they just seriously
deformed the engine block and didn't penetrate it. Oh yeah, the car was
parked and running (I put a log on the gas pedal to rev the engine as high as
it would go). Since the rounds didn't penetrate the engine block, only
deforming it, you can imagine that the engine became very hot. This ignited
the oil pan which burned rather savagely until I dumped about fifty gallons
of water on it, 5 gallons at a time with a pail, all the while fretting about
the fact that the gas tank was half full. It was about this time that my
girlfriend drove up and saw me running around a burning car with a large
handgun and a bucket of water about thirty yards from *her* house. At this
point in the story the fun started to wane...

Damn, did I say that out loud?

Right - the car *did* deserve to be killed, and quite frankly I think it got
off easy.

Rowland

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/