internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] getting kosher

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] getting kosher
  • Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:27:16 -0400

NC Hillel has a kosher kitchen, but only serves meals on Friday night (I
serve on their Board). Duke used to serve meals every day, but I am not sure
if they still do. For out of town visitors, the only option is to eat at
someone's home, or serve packaged food.

FYI, Glatt is Yiddish for "smooth" and has to do with the conditions of a
slaughtered animal's lungs (if the animal's lungs show scaring the animal is
not considered suitable to be butchered), and is not really a "grade" of
observance. If an animal's lungs are completely without blemishes, it is
considered Glatt Kosher. An animal with lungs that show discoloration, but
not scaring is Kosher, but not Glatt. Glatt only applies to animal food.

David