internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where to take a wireless laptop?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <matusiak AT speakeasy.net>
  • To: "internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where to take a wireless laptop?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 09:02:24 -0700 (PDT)

RE: public wireless - the only place i know that actually has a set-up is the
Regulator Bookstore in Durham. there have been many rumours that large chain
bookstores (like Barnes&Noble and Borders) would start doing this. also, i
think
the 257,922 Starbucks around the nation are supposed to start offering this
soon. i imagine there would be fees associated with this??

UNC has it all over the place, but your MAC address must be registered with
the
university and i believe you have to be either a student, faculty, or staff.
(Bill G. seconds my opinion here...)

RE: Mac OSX - i would suggest wiping the disc ('cause it will come with OS 9
installed as well) and doing a fresh install of OSX. maybe you will be lucky
enough to get a copy of Jaguar (OSX 10.2)??

i can't really comment on running linux or *bsd on the machine, altho it is
capable. but i wonder -- besides a sick fascination to simply "change the
machine somehow" what exactly is the purpose? are you going to gain a better
interface? i would bet money that is impossible. are you going to gain more
stability? perhaps, but are you running a production webserver off of your
laptop?

the whole concept eludes me. but, yeah, you could run X and all the linux
apps
you want. why cripple a champion racehorse?
drm
m a h t o o z e e a c k a t s p e e k e e z e e d o t n e t