internetworkers - Car shopping *NOW WITH long rant!!*

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: John Collins <grimmus AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Car shopping *NOW WITH long rant!!*
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:15:29 -0400

wow Dave. That was enjoyable reading. I used to be a Service Manager and
Parts Manager for 2 auto repair facilities in DC (highline Euro and
Asian) for 7 years. Man, are there horror stories about cars, repairs,
warranties......

anyhoo, i used to be a 'domestic only' moron. It finally ended 3 months
ago. Sold my '97 Monte Carlo Z34 (piece o' crap but it hauled ass and
handled well) and replaced it with a '99 Accord EX V6 Coupe. Omigod, I
am in love with it. It does everything well (speed, handling, braking),
great gas mileage (26/30), looks great, fits me perfectly, it makes
sense all over save for the sunroof switch. Has 50k on it, but you can't
tell. My ex-wife had an '88 Accord that made it over 200k miles, but
poor bodywork from an accident made it rust and be unsafe prematurely.

get a honda/acura. or a camry. or a nissan maxima. Leith Honda has been
pretty good so far as a dealer. Carmax was great for the last car I
bought, actually a pleasant experience. And I turned 5 other people on
to Carmax, all happy campers now.

Hi Gina. My best friend wants a Cooper too. If you get one, get the
supercharged one.

Oh yeah, more advice. No matter what you buy, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS (did
I mention ALWAYS?) get the biggest motor you can afford in the
bodystyle. No one ever bitches about too much power....

--john c--
IT Slave Labor
http://www.sigmaxi.org