internetworkers - Re: New Topic - how not to design an e commerce/registration tool

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Wagoner <dbwagoner AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New Topic - how not to design an e commerce/registration tool
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 06:29:55 -0700 (PDT)

It's true. We have had an annual support agreement
with Oracle for about two years now and recently we
called Support for upgrade CDs and they referred us to
their MetaLink website to make the request. On the
other hand, after using the website, the CD pack was
express shipped overnight (no extra charge for CDs or
shipping).

My experience with Oracle support has been excellent.
I log a database issue on MetaLink, even a
non-production, non-serverity 1 issue, and I always
get a response within 2 hours, sometimes within
minutes- either by telephone call or on-line response
(my choice). Every technician I've dealt with at
Oracle has been extremely knowledgable and helpful.

The old adage, "You get what you pay for", seems to be
true for databases because Oracle sure ain't cheap!

david
(Oracle DBA)

--- "Wolfe, Joanna" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org> wrote:
> After spending the better part of an hour trying to
> place an order with Oracle, I can tell you this -
> You really have to want Oracle's product to put up
> with their interface. What is more frustrating (I
> think that the state of California can justify their
> opting out of Oracle based on trying to get
> distribution media) is that if you call the Customer
> Service number they can't take an order on the
> phone, you must go through their website. Hmmm,
> this is Customer Service?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joanna
>
> Joanna Wolfe
> Manager, Business Technology Services
> Oxford University Press, USA
> 2001 Evans Road
> Cary, NC 27513
> v: (919) 677-0977 ext. 5242
> f: (919) 677-2654
> c: (919) 244-7696
> e: wolfe AT oup-usa.org
> w: www.oup-usa.org
>
> Today's URL of interest:
>
> http://www.oup-usa.org/reference

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
> dbwagoner AT yahoo.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

=====
David Wagoner