internetworkers - Re: Automated phone dialers-- how to fight back?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Lori Laubach" <lorilral AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Automated phone dialers-- how to fight back?
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 08:53:41 -0400

"Preston" was driving me crazy about this time last year. The problem I had
was that the autodialer wasn't fully disconnecting, and it was tying up my
line. Called the phone company to complain and see what recourse I had. It
IS illegal in NC. A live body is okay, but no automated stuff. If you call
and get the info to contact their investigations unit, the phone company
will check the incoming number to verify the dialer and levy some nasty
fines and turn it over for prosecution--so they say. I can't vouch for it
personally--I don't have caller ID, and it was second line for dialup. Had
the line disconnected and got Earthlink through cable. Bye-bye, Preston.
If can verify the number being used to make the call, sick 'em!
L3