internetworkers - RE: Blogs

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: AlMaur777 AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Blogs
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:13:47 EDT

I keep hearing that Blogs are going to change the face of journalism, rahrahrah and all that. Sounds just like a lot of Internet hype I had to wade through in two years of covering the industry for Localbusiness.com.
Now I happen to enjoy blogging, although I do it through my Science fiction related site as headlines and links rather than actually through a blog. I've done that too, because I enjoy trying out tech. But most of the blogs done by amateurs are just that: amateur. The writing and insights are so-so.
Personally, I enjoy reading quite a number of them.
Some, done with the love suggested in the word amateur, are indeed fine. Many, done by professionals of one sort or another, offer insider insight into what people in a given field think is important, interesting, disturbing.
But most are mediocre. I think most will fade away through neglect. (The late SF writer Theodore Sturgeon said, "Sure 90 percent of SF is crud. 90 percent of everything is crud."  He didn't use the word "crud."
Those blogs done by actual journalists (Sullivan, among others) are professional because they're done by professionals. Those done for  love of subject or even a deep need to be heard will likely survive in one form or another.
Something I suspect will affect blogging is that the Net is inevitably moving toward a pay-for-stuff model. With some exceptions -- where advertising, sponsorship or product sales support the content -- less and less will be free online and linking to stories will bring up a register and pay to view page.
Blogging might get a lot less interesting if the writers have to actually say something intelligent rather than just commenting briefly on content in a link provided.
I'm not arguing the pros or cons of paying for content, just commenting that it's happening and is only going to become more pervasive in various forms.

Allan Maurer
Writer
PHONE: 919-667-1733
Cell Phone: 919-491-4524
Published widely in national, regional, and local media: books, magazines, newspapers, online.

Senior Writer: www.localtechwire.com   A new daily online news service covering technology and venture-backed companies in the southeast LocalTechWire.com .

Explore the science fiction world we live in at  SciFiScanner: Science Fiction through time and space - Literature Entertainment