internetworkers - Spam War [Was: Greeting Card Spam?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Josep L. Guallar-Esteve" <jlguallar AT maduixa.net>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Spam War [Was: Greeting Card Spam?]
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 15:12:45 -0500

El dia Dijous 28 Març 2002 02:39 pm, no tenies res mes que fer i vas i
m'envies aquest mail:

> And also the reason it would be easy to set
> up an distributed anti-spam network and crush
> these unethical punks to bits.

I like your thinking...

> Spammers have been tolerated for long enough.

> It's time to go to war.

> The Spam War will force regulation b/c the
> spammers will want it. The regulations will
> be written to bring the anti-spam network
> down -- but that's okay, b/c it's purpose
> will have been served.

> (BTW, I don't go to war very often, but
> when I do, I do it to win.)

Amen brother.

Where's the e-recruiting station? I wanna join the fight. I can get some
friends overseas to join the war too (also tired of spam).

Distributed-war against spam?

Maybe we can set-up a Linux daemon to "fight" spammers (spamward). There are
many Linux users that are also tired of spam. Just think: one [e-mail | ping
| name-your-method] a minute directed to a single spammer box, times [the
number of usrers of this spamward] amounts to a pretty big hit. Then, you
switch target every hour.

I say that in one month, spammers will be down to their knees.

Should we keep developing this idea?

Salut,
Josep, inspired by SETI@home and grid computing projects
--
Josep L. Guallar-Esteve, QA-Test Engineer, Red Hat, Inc.
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/