internetworkers - Re: internetworkers] Re: Greeting Card Spam?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas"<mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: internetworkers] Re: Greeting Card Spam?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:39:25 -0500

>You bring up an interesting point: Cost of >Operations..

> .. that's actually been a selling point of spam.

And also the reason it would be easy to set
up an distributed anti-spam network and crush
these unethical punks to bits.

>I think in the short term... the easiest
>solution is for everyone to maintain a
>personal list of addresses they allow to
>receive. Everything else gets rejected. I
>think Hotmail has this feature?

Why should I have to reduce functionality?

It also wouldn't work for me -- for instance,
my email is up on the INW web site in a couple
places and I get emails I couldn't possibly
expect and that I want to receive.

Spammers have been tolerated for long enough.

It's time to go to war.

The Spam War will force regulation b/c the
spammers will want it. The regulations will
be written to bring the anti-spam network
down -- but that's okay, b/c it's purpose
will have been served.

(BTW, I don't go to war very often, but
when I do, I do it to win.)