internetworkers - RE: Spam War [Was: Greeting Card Spam?]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Spam War [Was: Greeting Card Spam?]
  • Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 16:36:37 -0500

> El dia Dijous 28 Març 2002 03:26 pm, no tenies res mes que
> fer i vas i
> m'envies aquest mail:
> > Absolutely! Why stop with 'name your method' directed
> against only a
> > single spammer box at a time?
>
> There are a few reasons behind this proposal:

Points well taken. Even though your method seems like it would be
effective, I still prefer the idea of giving spammers a taste of their
own medicine in a **persistent** manner by returning all spam to them
whenever I receive spam in my Inbox, rather than beating the bajesus out
of one spammer at a time for a set, limited period of time.

To do this, couldn't we set up a list server somewhere that maintains a
list of spammers and forwards spam sent to the list to all spammers. In
this way the individual users in the spamward would send only one reply
to every piece of spam (or even to only selected, particularly offensive
pieces of spam), namely to the list processor. That way spamward users
won't set off any bandwidth-hog alarms with their ISPs and dial-up users
wouldn't be excluded either. The key would be to have a list server, or
perhaps multiple distributed list servers, that could handle this kind
of volume of mail. I am a bit fuzzy on the details on how to implement
something like this, so please help me out on this point. Would it be
possible to set up a list processor to do this, and set it up in such a
way, perhaps with distributed mail servers or open mail relays (like
spammers do?), that it is not easily identifiable and would not be
fodder for overzealous lawyers. Use the spammer's techniques against the
spammers.

Love your friendly neighborhood spammer??!!?? Yes, they do need TOUGH
LOVE! ;-)

- Bill