internetworkers - Re: Dali Lama

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dali Lama
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:06:06 -0400

I've seen a number of these emails in the last 24 hours and frankly I find
them disturbing. We have responded non-violently to terrorism in the past,
working through our judicial system to try to capture and prosecute the
perpetrators of terrorism while the death tolls from these attacks have only
increased.

We've had a non violent response to:

€the World Trade Center bombing in 1993
€the bombing in 1995 of a Saudi National Guard training school in Riyadh
€the truck bomb in 1996 that destroyed part of a housing complex used by
American Air Force personnel in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
€the 1998 embassy bombings in Africa
€the attack on the Navy destroyer Cole last October

And these are just some of the terrorist actions attributed to Osama bin
Laden and his allies over the last 10 years.

The people who committed these acts were insane enough to give their own
lives to carrying out their plans of inflicting pain, death and suffering on
innocent American civilians, do you think they would understand diplomacy or
a non-violent approach to resolving this situation?

They declared war upon *us* through their actions. If we do not respond in
kind the attacks are only going to get worse and more innocent people will
die.

At least five people I grew up with are missing in the World Trade Center,
others I knew were injured or just escaped injury. I have friends who can't
injured or killed in this senseless act of cowardice, this is still going to
affect each and everyone of us from the world economic turmoil that will
surely follow.

So Dali Lama, just what is the appropriate response???? Seems like we broke
the circle of violence by reacting with violence to some of our past
aggressors. You don't hear much about kamikazes these days.......

I may not be politically correct, but this turn the other cheek stuff is
making me ill.

Robert

Ps: I really *am* turning into my father as I get older - its scary.......