internetworkers - Re: Dali Lama

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Robert Weeks <robert AT designhammer.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Dali Lama
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:33:35 -0400

Yeah, but we didn't hit anything worthwhile, does that count?

I think they are talking about real war this time with ground troops, etc.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/13/national/13MILI.html

Many people throughout the government have expressed frustration at the
inability of past cruise missile attacks to wipe out terrorist cells, or
even to severely punish them. But military officers have also clearly read
signals from the political leadership and the public, desiring combat
operations to be casualty-free.

Today, Pentagon officials said something fundamental had changed after the
attacks, with civilian death tolls expected to rival America's worst combat
casualties.

Placing troops in harm's way to retaliate against those responsible for the
attacks, and to prevent further terrorist action, "now seems completely
justified," one military officer said. "Our senior leaders are describing
this as war, so those in uniform are willing to accept the risk. And we know
the public will support us."

Robert