internetworkers - Re: Learning sys admin type stuff

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joe Komenda" <joe AT komejo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Learning sys admin type stuff
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 10:19:31 -0700

- Start grabbing old computers as you see 'em.
- They should be really cheap - less than $100.
- They should still have some vile old M$ OS running on them.
- Do a nice bare-bones linux install - don't let it install Apache, etc...
- Install all patches to the OS.
- chant: "I *will* install Apache, PHP and MySQL on this machine!"
- Secure the box with something like LogSentry, Portsentry
  and HostSentry: http://www.psionic.com/
- make a little tea party happen between your machines with samba.

Remember also that the more machines you have scattered througout your home, the more credibility you will have amongst the illumini. Ideally you will have 1 monitor for all of these machines.

Practice saying things like: "Well, I like how Redhat 5.2 works in the foyer, but for the Master Bedroom, I think Slackware would be nice."

Remember to give your machines names that seem obscure, but are well known to geeks. (Orchrist and Glamdring were my first 2 home Linux boxes.)

I realize you didn't ask to learn how to be a sysadmin, you asked to learn tasks. Alas! You must sometimes associate with other sysadmins to learn things, and it helps to know the peculiar social skills involved.

Joe K