internetworkers - Re: Learning sys admin type stuff

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <paulwcory AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Learning sys admin type stuff
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 21:12:01 -0400

I wanna learn more sys admin related tasks. More specifically, linux sys admin stuff--bind, samba, apache, OpenSSH, CVS, and so on. I know that the O'Reilly books are excellent and that working at Red Hat gives me a lot of good resources for things like this, but it never hurts to poke about for additional ideas. Write me offlist if you want, but I bet others here could benefit from some suggestions as well.

My suggestion would be to decide on a project you want to do on a linux box that uses a couple of the sysadmin tools you want to learn, get a cheap Intel machine and attempt to do it. In attempting to get that project done, you'll learn where all the pitfalls are, because you'll fall into them. :-) And when you finally make it work, you'll feel doubly good: you both learned something and accomplished something concrete.

When that project is finished, move on to another one that requires using new tools. This will result in you learning even more about the tools you already learned, in addition to picking up knowledge of the new tools.

Try to make the projects ones that produce something that you'll find useful. I played around with Linux a few times and dropped it without getting very far because I had nothing I needed it for. Once I had something I needed to do with it, I found I had more success in learning because I had stronger motivation.

As for whacking IP address thieves, I cannot second the recommendation of a 4x8 pine board. A medium-sized leather pouch filled with quarters fits nicely in a briefcase, laptop bag or purse, and is equally effective in making your point. It also ensures that you have change available for vending machines and parking meters. :-)

Paul