internetworkers - Re: Learning sys admin type stuff

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT darkcanvas.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Learning sys admin type stuff
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:06:20 -0400

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 09:12:01PM -0400, Paul Cory spoke thusly:
> As for whacking IP address thieves, I cannot second the recommendation
> of a 4x8 pine board. A medium-sized leather pouch filled with quarters
> fits nicely in a briefcase, laptop bag or purse, and is equally
> effective in making your point. It also ensures that you have change
> available for vending machines and parking meters. :-)

Argh. Terry Pratchett described, actually, in _Sourcery_, a weapon of
sheer simpicity and elegance for such situations. it was, in effect a
sock with half a brick in it. While the 4x8 or leather pouch is nice
to have, in a pinch, nothing beats like a sock with half a brick in
it.

And you always ahve half the ingredients with you most of the time *grin*

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- New email : alchemist AT darkcanvas.com --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
-- ICQ: 4855069 AIM: ksonney --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
-- Berkley Breathed, 2001