internetworkers - Re: Learning sys admin type stuff

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Russell <scottrus AT ipass.net>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Learning sys admin type stuff
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:31:27 -0400

Beth -

Join mailing lists. For example, if you admin a innd server join the
inn-workers mailing list. If you run a mailman mailing list join the
mailman-users list.

You don't have to post, it's really quite helpful to just read them. You get
to find out quickly the state of the software based on the types of questions
to the list and you get the benefit of learning solutions in real time from
other admins and users in similar environments to your own.

Right now I have about 10 or 12 'admin-related' mailing lists going
(inn-workers, mailman-users, info-cyrus, info-sasl, postfix,
linux-atm-general, rsync, etc) and have procmail take care of filtering them
into list specific mail boxes. About once a day I go through the mailing lists
and pick up on what's new, what problems people are seeing, and what solutions
are being used.

Really a fantastic resource. Of course this also might push your typical
email count to well over 800+ messages per day :) Automated sorting,
filtering and threading of topics is *really* important in that case!

-- Scott