internetworkers - Re: New WUNC schedule

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda.watson AT egarden.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: New WUNC schedule
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:33:04 -0400

At 09:45 AM 8/29/2001 -0400, Michael S Czeiszperger
wrote:

>WUNC is finally getting rid of that horrible classical music format during
>the day: [...]
>

>My personal choice for a public radio station is to have a variety of music,
>as well as the news and entertainment shows, but other stations currently
>have the classical and jazz formats covered pretty well, so what's the point?

I long for Gary Shivers to return. He was the station manager
and more importantly the jazz obsessive who made WUNC a
bonding force in the Triangle. Many a conversation would start
with "Did you hear Gary Shiver's show this weekend? Twenty-three
versions of 'Stormy Weather'!" We still play a tape of his
Christmas show every year while we decorate the tree.

Gary had an unbelievable record collection and memory for what was
on it. An interview in the "Spectator" at the time summed it up nicely.
The author is taken aback to realize that when Shivers pointed to
a groaning shelf of vinyl and said "There's Sinatra," he meant ALL of
Sinatra. Every record. Published, bootlegged, or simply morphed.

I quit donating to WUNC when they rode Shivers out on a rail. I'd start
again if they would just rerun his shows.

Linda