internetworkers - RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:26:52 -0400

> There's a huge difference between an individual exercising fair use
and a
> monopolistic corporation modifying copyrighted material. An
individual's
> behavior only affects how they see a web page, while a built in
feature
> such
> as Smart Tags potentially affects everyone.

According to the article link that Saundra just posted:

"In the initial versions of IE 6.0, the Smart Tag technology will be set
to a default setting of "off." Users who want to employ the technology
will have to turn Smart Tags on, Sanford said."

When I turn smart tags 'on' (*if* I choose to), I select which smart
tags I want to enable, if any. If Microsoft ships a set of smart tags
that you don't like, you don't have to enable them. Enable
Amazon.com's, or write your own, or don't use them.

The smart tag 'feature' is pretty much just an add-in architecture. I
would not be surprised if Amazon and others are working with Microsoft
now to have their own smart tag handlers shipped with IE6 when the time
comes. As long as I have the choice of whose smart tag handlers I want
enabled on my desktop, I don't care how many handlers they ship.

Microsoft did some unfortunate marketing when they rolled out smart
tags. They made the early demo tag actions link to Microsoft properties
like MSN (because the guys that developed the demo tags worked at
Microsoft, and all use MSN, and it's just what they do). Last week I
saw tags that linked to ESPN, Amazon.com and CNN.com.

It's trivial to create smart tags that link to any web site, or tags
that don't link you to anything at all. Of course, now it's too late to
repair the initial impression that all smart tags will lead you to
Microsoft properties (unless you are an informed consumer), so I rack
most of this up to poor marketing, not yet another world domination
plan.