internetworkers - RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:33:32 -0400

Hi Robert!

> To go back to your Wall St. Journal analogy, with the default set of
smart
> tags it wouldn't be like you highlighting items in your paper at all,
it
> would be more like if someone came along before you got your paper and
> marked it up with their ads and highlights without paying the
publisher of
> the paper for the advertising space.

Well, since you have to take an overt action to set up which smart tag
handlers you want enabled, it would be more like me choosing to have a
kid down the street highlight all the articles about technology while my
paper's in the driveway in the morning (I'd have to ask him to do this,
and probably give him a few bucks or something).

I definitely don't think that Microsoft will be the only smart tag
provider, because there's a marketing opportunity there. Some people
(like me) might write their own for specific things, but I think large
web properties like Amazon, ESPN, CNN, etc. could wind up providing
smart tags to recognize authors, sports figures, senators' names, and
let the user link to related information on their sites.

Personally, I probably won't enable any of them...