internetworkers - RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: MS How-To-Disable Smart Tags
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 13:10:29 -0400

> Might want to take a look at what the Press is saying about Smart Tags
or
> join the Smart Tags listserv on yahoogroups. Our company considers it
> privacy violation based on the information that has been reported by
> Microsoft directly.

I took a different approach... after reading some of the hype, I decided
to understand exactly how Smart Tags are implemented. I know how to
write my own, and how to enable and disable them. It's pretty basic,
simple stuff. I probably won't go out of my way to use them, but there
are some pretty interesting desktop productivity applications for them.

Now that I understand the technology, I don't have much need for the
hype. I don't really fear Smart Tags at all (any more than I fear any
other DLL). Smart Tags are just DLLs - you can choose to enable them or
not, and as such I don't really see any privacy being invaded (unless by
choice). Personally, I think it's more of an invasion for web authors
to disable them via meta tags, since my desktop is configured the way I
like it, and I don't like web developers taking my choices away ;-)

Cheers,
Paula