internetworkers - Re: WRAL Site Redesign

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WRAL Site Redesign
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:29:18 -0400

Ah, so that's what happened.... I'm not too fond of the redesign either.

Last week, I watched WRAL's local doppler as showers moved through (we
were in a delicate building phase with a certain barn roof and needed to
keep a close eye on the weather), then this weekend my bookmark stopped
working, the three-minute automatic reload at the doppler page stopped
working, and I suddenly had to deal with three cookies every time I
manually reloaded the page. (On top of that, the "large image" page
wouldn't update.)

WTVD, heh?

"U. Jason Gloege Jr." wrote:

> Wow... that is pretty painful. When my friend/connection at WRAL told me
> they'd farmed out the site and eliminated the internal department, I was
> curious as to what would come of the site, and now I know. Oof.
>
> Jason, WRAL alum
>
> > Has anyone seen the new WRAL site? What a cludge. What were they
> > thinking? There is now so much visual clutter on the screen that it is
> > much less useful than it was in the past. Are they trying to copy the
> > N&O site? (Actually, the N&O site is better, but still has too much
> > clutter.)
> > I assume this is a work in progress since the colors of the site are so
> > odd. (Have they a color wheel at WRAL?) The move to this national web
> > conglomerate is a mistake. In the long run, they will lose their
> > audience.
> > I was able to bookmark the doppler radar and other useful pages on the
> > old site, but it seems to give me an error if I directly bookmark
> > specific weather pages. Thankfully, WTVD has a doppler page that is
> > static so I switched to that one for my link to what is happening on
> > "the outside".
> > The only thing that is useful in local TV is the weather radar and
> > possibly the forecast. All other things are lead-in's to commerials. If
> > I hear one more minute of jovial banter between air-heads on the news
> > channel, I am going to gag. Roger (in RTP, a totally open-minded,
> > without preconceived ideas and open to all new things, kind of guy who
> > needs to take a few deep breaths and have some more coffee...)
> > BTW, the Kodak peregrins are back in the nesting box for 2001.
> > http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/birdcam2001/index2.shtml

<snip>

--
"B"ing mobile