internetworkers - WRAL Site Redesign

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Austin, Roger" <rda AT rti.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: WRAL Site Redesign
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 13:04:38 -0400

Has anyone seen the new WRAL site? What a cludge. What were they
thinking? There is now so much visual clutter on the screen that it is
much less useful than it was in the past. Are they trying to copy the
N&O site? (Actually, the N&O site is better, but still has too much
clutter.)
I assume this is a work in progress since the colors of the site are so
odd. (Have they a color wheel at WRAL?) The move to this national web
conglomerate is a mistake. In the long run, they will lose their
audience.
I was able to bookmark the doppler radar and other useful pages on the
old site, but it seems to give me an error if I directly bookmark
specific weather pages. Thankfully, WTVD has a doppler page that is
static so I switched to that one for my link to what is happening on
"the outside".
The only thing that is useful in local TV is the weather radar and
possibly the forecast. All other things are lead-in's to commerials. If
I hear one more minute of jovial banter between air-heads on the news
channel, I am going to gag. Roger (in RTP, a totally open-minded,
without preconceived ideas and open to all new things, kind of guy who
needs to take a few deep breaths and have some more coffee...)
BTW, the Kodak peregrins are back in the nesting box for 2001.
http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/birdcam2001/index2.shtml