internetworkers - basic computer documentation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Beth Ellison" <leonardbernst55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: basic computer documentation
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:09:10 -0400

Hey list,

As seasoned computer pros, I thought I'd ask you people to think back to the days when you were not so seasoned (I guess the opposite of "seasoned" is "plain"?)...

You're learning how to use a computer. You're learning about this thing called the Internet. What basic skills and basic terminology can you remember having to learn/wonder about as a complete and total newbie?

So far, I've come up with:

*Basic computer terminology (desktop, mouse, boot, drive, modem, connection, screen saver, desktop theme, Web browser, navigation, icon, menu)
*Basic Web browser navigation
*How to cut and paste text
*How to manipulate a two- or three-button mouse
*Using screen savers and desktop themes
*Email etiquette
*saving/naming files

Thanks in advance for any input. And in case you were wondering, I'm not doing this for my health or because I have too much free time or because it's such a kick--it's for work.

Thanks,
Beth