internetworkers - Re: should dot com employees unionize?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: uzoma nwosu <uzoma AT audioverse.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: should dot com employees unionize?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 22:51:23 GMT

> But the idea of workers at a high-tech startup forming a union seems
> to me to be a mockery of what unions in more mature industries have
> achieved and can achieve

> Agreed. Esp. if eTown is still spending venture money and all the
> "unionizers" are holding stock options...

Not necessarily. There are the folks who don't have options for whatever
reason. And what about those workers who haven't vested yet? What
protection do they have?

I don't think tech workers unionizing is that bad of an idea. Yes, they
are not mill workers. But they have every right create an entity that
serves the purpose of it's members. When was the last time anyone has
heard of employees unionizing for no reason? Really. I might do some
good. Someone might get heard...

Uzoma