internetworkers - Re: should dot com employees unionize?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: should dot com employees unionize?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:14:03 -0500

on Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 08:51:13AM -0500, saundrakaerubel.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> I came across this article and thought it would be good to post it on this
> group. What do others think about unionizing employees at dot com
> environments?
>
> Etown.com Employees File for Union Election
> Customer service employees at etown.com have become the first dot-com
> workers to file for a union election with the National Labor Relations
> Board. Workers will vote Jan. 12 on whether to make etown the first
> unionized dot-com.
> Read the article: Mercury Center @
> http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/breaking/merc/docs/039820.htm

Works of the Web, UNITE!
You have nothing to lose but your Aerons!

At the risk of striking a stridently anti-union tone, I have a hard
time believing that the working conditions of say, coal miners or
garment workers, where entire generations grew up in near-poverty,
illiteracy, and in constant danger of their lives - either due to
industrial accident or environmental disease - compare to the awful
stress of having the lumbar support on your Aeron slip during a
customer service call...

Of course, I don't know anything about etown.com - for all I know,
they employ old coal miners and garment workers and house them in
abandoned mine shafts, where they are constantly bombarded by a
deadly combination of coal gas and radon. But hey.

Steve,
representing the Establishment, apparently.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/